What is the Works & Services Department, and what do they do?

Our Works & Services Department is responsible for all existing Shire assets/infrastructure (buildings excluded) within Shire managed roads and reserves. They handle a wide range of areas, including:

  • The construction and maintenance of local roads, bridges, paths, drains and verges (refer below for details of other road asset and infrastructure owners)
  • The construction and maintenance of our local parks, gardens ovals and reserves, including public toilets and bins. (please note that this does not include residential bins - you can learn more about your kerbside bins on our Waste Services & Management pages)
  • Cemeteries
  • Crossovers
  • Fence Line Clearing Permits
  • Fallen trees or other hazards across roads
    • If a tree has fallen across the road or a hazard to road users is identified, please call the Shire Administration Office immediately on (08) 9780 4200 (an after-hours service is available using the same number).


All Works & Services documents and information sheets can be found on the page linked below. 

Works & Services Documents


      Learn more about the various areas of the Works & Services Department:

      Environmental Services

      Ranger Services



      Advice of Shire Works

      If you would like to know what we are getting up to, you can view our latest notices below. 

      Advice of Works


      Hours of operation are typically between 7:00am and 5:00pm, Monday to Friday. Works will be clearly signed, and we request that you exercise due care when travelling near or through the designated areas. Delays are expected to be minimal. Should you have any enquiries or require further information, please contact the Shire Works & Services Department. 

      Contact Us


      FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)


      What doesn't the Works & Services Department take care of?

      The following areas are not managed by the Shire - instead, you can contact the relevant agency for assistance.

      • Some roads are the responsibility of Main Roads WA (MRWA) - to check, please visit www.mainroads.wa.gov.au. Alternatively, you can contact MRWA on 128 128 or through their online contact forms. The Shire can assist you with a local road.
      • The Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions (DBCA) are typically responsible for Forestry Roads and the State Forrest. DBCA can be contacted on (08) 9219 9000, emailing enquiries@dbca.wa.gov.au, or by visiting www.dbca.wa.gov.au.
      • Western Power is responsible for street lights, power poles, and electricity. You can contact Western Power on 13 13 51 or by visiting www.westernpower.com.au.
      • Water Corporate is responsible for water and sewer mains. You can contact Water Corp on 13 13 75 or by visiting www.watercorporation.com.au.

      I want to know more about Crossovers

      A crossover refers to the driveway access from the kerb/road edge to property boundary. Property owners will need to obtain approval prior to constructing, replacing, or modifying a crossover through the verge. A crossover is the responsibility of the property owner to construct and maintain. The Shire may contribute towards the construction of a crossover via its Crossover Subsidy Scheme, so long as the Crossover in question is the first one for the particular property, and has been approved prior to construction. The crossover contribution must be applied for within 12 months of completion and the crossover.

      Property owners need to have their crossovers constructed in accordance with the Shire’s specifications outlined in the Crossover Information Package, available via the link below.

      Works & Services Documents

      I want to know more about street lighting

      Street light infrastructure is provided by Western Power, who installs and maintains most streetlights. If you notice a street light in our community isn’t working (such as not turning on or off, flickering, or has been vandalised), please report it to Western Power.

      In the case of an emergency that involves or has affected anything electrical, please follow these steps as outlined by Western Power:

      1. Call emergency services on 000
      2. Call Western Power on 13 13 51
      3. Keep bystanders clear, staying at least 8m from any impacted network infrastructure
      4. Wait for emergency services and/or Western Power to attend to make the area safe

      In the case of a non-emergency, you can check the Western Power website to see if there's any outages in your area. If you check and cannot find the faulty streetlight or any information on outages or works in the area, it may need to be reported.

        Western Power: Issues & Enquiries


        If you cannot find any information on the fault with Western Power, the faulty street light may be one of the small numbers that belong to the Shire. If this is the case, please make a report via the link below, ensuring you provide the location of the streetlight and details of the fault.

        Make a Report

        Information on speed limits (speeding / hooning)

        The Shire, like all local government bodies, does not have the authority or power to enforce the road rules. The Western Australian Police Force (WAPOL) can assist with any queries or concerns you may have. 

        In the case of an emergency, please call 000.

        To report report a nuisance or concern, please contact the Donnybrook Police Station:

        • Open Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 4:00pm

        • (08) 9732 3333

        • 50 South Western Highway, Donnybrook WA 6239

        • www.police.wa.gov.au


        If you have concerns about the speed limit in an area, you can request a Speed Limit Review through Main Roads WA (MRWA).

        Main Roads WA (MRWA) are the responsible authority on determining speed zones and the erection of speed zone signage in accordance with Australian Standards. For MRWA to consider a speed limit review on a local road, a written request with supporting documentation of traffic and speed studies needs to be submitted by the Local Government first.

        To begin this process, the Shire requires a written request to be submitted to shire@donnybrook.wa.gov.au outlining the road / locality of concern. An assessment of the request (which includes collection and analysis of supporting data) will then be undertaken to determine whether there is enough supporting evidence to refer the request to MRWA.

        When reviewing a speed limit, MRWA requires it must meet the below:

        • Roadside development to be partially or fully built up.

        • Dedicated precinct, area or reserve.

        • Minimum total road width of 5.5 metres.

        • Requires specific amount of residences, commercial buildings, schools, parks, light industries etc.

        • Service roads not included.

        • Marked roads.

        • Road function must fit criteria.

        • School zones.

        • Existing lighting, signage etc.

        • Daily traffic use.

        • Reported crashes.

        • Reported speeding Incidents.

        Given the amount of data required, this can be a lengthy process and does not always result in requests being supported by MRWA. For further information, please view the Speed Zones information on the MRWA website linked below.

        MRWA: Information on Speed Zones

        I want to know more about Unsealed Road Maintenance

        What is an Unsealed Road

        If a road is unsealed, it means that it is not covered with a hard material like concrete or asphalt. Unsealed roads are typically made of loose material like gravel or dirt. Some regional roads may be sealed, but still have gravel or dirt edges. Conditions on unsealed roads can change quickly or deteriorate due to weather, the number of vehicles on it, and types of vehicles using the road. It is recommended that you travel in a 4WD in high range (4H) if you plan to drive on unsealed roads. 


        About Unsealed Road Maintenance

        The Shire is responsible for approximately 400km of unsealed roads. Unsealed roads are maintained by periodic maintenance grading undertaken throughout the year. The Shire utilises a Road Grading Hierarchy to determine the level of service suitable for a particular road type, which depends on factors such as traffic volumes and type of use. The condition of these roads can change quickly, with the biggest contributing factor being weather conditions.


        Weather Challenges

        Unsealed roads need moisture to bind the materials together. The dryer the weather conditions, the quicker surface materials become loose and displace (causing corrugations), and excessive dust forms. If a road become too dry, grading it could make the condition worse. During hot and dry summers, we will often see a number of roads deteriorating at the same time. The Shire Officers need to inspect these roads to prioritise works on roads that are most heavily used and in the worst condition.


        Alternatively, heavy or constant rain can cause erosion or damage to gravel roads, especially during significant storm events where drain infrastructure becomes inundated with water and debris. The excess water also softens the roads, making it more likely for potholes to form. Additionally, fallen trees and wildlife can also pose an unexpected hazard to drivers all year round.


        Due to the factors above, it is important that road users remain vigilant and drive to conditions. Unlike sealed roads, permanent speed limit signs are not used on unsealed roads because the condition of the roads cannot be assured, and vehicles must always be driven to suit the conditions.


        Gravel Road Upgrades & Resheeting

        Unsealed roads lose gravel over time and require additional gravel to be placed - this process is called resheeting. Gravel resheeting works are considered as reconstruction works (not a maintenance practice), which needs to be considered as part of our Annual Capital Works Program.


        Requesting a Road to be Graded

        The Shire has a Maintenance Grading Program that outlines a routine that is followed to maintain our unsealed roads. However, from time to time, a request to grade a road is received. The road in question will be inspected and if required, the road will be scheduled for grading with consideration to the Shire’s Maintenance Grading Program.

        There are many forestry roads throughout the Shire that have historically been provided grading services by the Shire in combination with the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions (DBCA). The ongoing level of service provided for these roads (and into the future) is currently under review.

        You can make a report a gravel road for inspection, or to request additional maintenance, by completing the form below.

        Make a Report

        I want to know more about directional signage

        Directional signs assist locals and visitors alike in navigating our Shire to locate certain businesses, attractions, and community services. The Shire permits some private directional signage for establishments whose core business is based on tourism.

        The Shire has an approval process and criteria that must be addressed by signage to prevent the proliferation of signs that would hinder wayfinding, and/or would reduce the natural beauty of the environment and southwest region. For more information, please refer to the documents available via the link below.

        Works & Services Documents

        I want to know more about Public Toilets

        The Shire has a number of public toilets within the Donnybrook, Balingup, Kirup, and Mullalyup townsites. You can view details on these facilities through the National Public Toilet Map linked below.

        National Public Toilet Map


        All public toilets within the Shire are cleaned on a regular basis, with cleaning scheduled for early in the day prior to the majority of the public requiring use of the facilities. Occasionally due to delays at other facilities, this isn’t always possible. As such, if you notice a cleaning or maintenance issue, please complete the form below and ensure you have provided the location of the toilets and any further details. If there is an urgent fault or problem that requires prompt attention, please contact the Shire Administration Office for assistance.

        Make a Report

        Contact Us

        Parks & Gardens

        Our dedicated Parks & Gardens Crew undertake the maintenance and upkeep of a diverse range of areas across the Shire, from sports grounds and streetscapes to playgrounds and nature reserves. This team works hard to schedule all works to take place during times where there is minimal impact on the public and their enjoyment of the public spaces or facilities in the area. From time to time, it may be necessary for an area to be closed off to the public for a short period of time while works are undertaken. If there are any major closures, a public notice will be published on our website and social media platforms.

        View all News & Notices


        Please report all damage and maintenance requests to the Shire by completing the form below, ensuring you have provided the location of the issue and included as much details as possible. If the problem needs urgent attention, please contact the Shire Administration Office for assistance.

        Make a Report

        Contact Us

        I want to know more about verge maintenance

        The Shire has a mix of urban, rural, and semi-rural verge areas under its control. Levels of service vary depending on a number of factors, and we also consider the balance between the activities undertaken and the potential associated costs to ratepayers as it is cost prohibitive for the Shire to manage all aspects of verges. Adjacent landowners are responsible for undertaking minor maintenance works within the verge to their benefit that the Shire is not oLevels of service vary depending on a number of factors - please refer to our Rural and Urban Verge Management policies (WRKS/CP-2 and WRKS/CP-3 respectively) and Environmental Services page via the links below for more information.

        Shire Policies

        Environmental Services

        The Heavy Vehicles RAV (Restricted Access Vehicle) Network

        A heavy vehicle is restricted to only using roads within the Permit Network corresponding to its class. The Permit Networks are RAV Networks 1 to 10; RAV Network 1 includes most Public Roads within the State of WA, and RAV Networks 2 to 10 comprised of the roads on which the corresponding classes of vehicles are permitted (subject to additional conditions in some cases).

        The Shire works closely with Main Roads WA (MRWA) to manage heavy vehicles operation through-out the district. The current Permit approved RAV roads are shown in the MRWA RAV Mapping Tool, which also includes Local Government roads.

        Use the RAV Mapping Tool


        The Shire requires an application to be submitted for heavy vehicle accessing the approved Shire roads. If the road is not already part of the approved RAV network, or to browse the information and permits you may need to apply for, please refer to the MRWA Heavy Vehicle website below. 

        MRWA: Heavy Vehicles

        I want to know more about Storm Water Management

        The Shire requires all property owners of private land to adequately manage storm water within their boundaries so that storm water doesn't adversely impact on neighbouring private properties, the Shire’s storm water system, and public land. This should be done in accordance with the following:

        • The Local Government Act 1995,
        • The Residential Design Codes of Western Australia (and other applicable Planning policies),
        • The Building Code of Australia, and
        • All local laws, guidelines and procedures.

        Landowners also need to be aware that there is potential for significant rain events to exceed the capacity of any storm water management system, including the Shire’s drainage network. In these cases, safe overland flood routes need to be considered.


        The Local Government Act 1995

        Residential Design Codes

        All Shire documents & forms