If you are experiencing an emergency, call 000.

You can also contact DFES via 13 33 37.

Emergency resources and information are available below. If you notice anything wrong with this webpage, please contact us on (08) 9780 4200.

If you're looking to burn during the Unrestricted Burning Period, please ensure that you have registered the burn with DFES via (08) 9395 9209. You can view the 2023/2024 Fire Break Order for information on future burns or obtaining a permit on this page, or with the physical copy you received with your rates.


These dates are subject to slight variation according to seasonal conditions, but any alterations will be advertised locally.

Burning is also prohibited on any day where the Fire Danger Forecast is classified as High or above, or if a Total Fire Ban has been declared. As these dates are subject to change, please check with the Shire prior to lighting any fires at any time.

Updated Alerts and WarningsCurrent Fire Danger RatingsWA Bureau of Meteorology HomepageUpdates on Total Fire Bans What you can and can't do during a Total Fire Ban day

Shire Emergency Services

The Shire of Donnybrook Balingup Emergency Services consists of over 500 volunteers, and has 12 Bushfire Brigades and 1 State Emergency Services Unit. 

The Community Emergency Services Manager (CESM) supported by the Shire Rangers have a responsibility to ensure that the Shire meets its statutory obligations under the Emergency Management Act, Fire and Emergency Services Act, The Bush Fires Act and more.


Lighting fires on your property can be extremely dangerous. The Prohibited and Restricted burning period dates are set according to seasonal conditions and may be adjusted. General information, legal requirements and dates are available in the document below.

Fire Break Order 2022/23

Fire Break Order 2023/24

Prohibited Burning Period

Lighting a fire is prohibited between the dates of 15 December to 31 March annuallyBurning is also prohibited on any day where the Fire Danger Forecast is High or above, or if a Total Fire Ban has been declared. As these dates are subject to change, please check with the Shire prior to lighting any fires.

Restricted Burning Period

Burning is restricted from November to 14 December and 1 to 26 April annually. You are not permitted to burn without a Fire Permit during this period.

Permits can be obtained through your local Fire Control Officer listed in the Fire Break Order linked aboveIf the Fire Control Officer is not available, please contact the Shire Office during business hours.

Unrestricted Burning Period

Whilst in the unrestricted burning period, you may burn without a permit. The unrestricted period runs from 27 April until 31 October annually. Please note that these dates are subject to change, and are dependent on seasonal conditions.

Please be aware that, due to the impact of smoke, burning is still prohibited on land under 2000 m2.

Winter is an ideal time to start preparing your property for the upcoming fire season, particularly if you choose to use fire to reduce the fuel load on your property.  The Shire encourages property owners to take advantage of this safer period to conduct their fire hazard reduction burning.

When conducting a burn please note that care must be exercised:

  • The burn must be conducted in an area that is surrounded by firebreaks
  • Rake around dead trees to minimise the risk of them catching alight
  • Notify your neighbours prior to lighting up
  • Be in attendance and control of the burn at all times (preferably a minimum of two adult able-bodied persons should be present for the duration of the burn)
  • Have the ability to extinguish the fire if the conditions change (water or manual methods)
  • Do not burn damp, wet or green material as this will cause excessive smoke
  • Fires are to be immediately extinguished should smoke blow across public roads causing visibility to be reduced.

Further advice on different planned burns can be found in the DFES publication linked below for your convenience.

DFES Burn Smart Guide

Fire Permits

Fire Permits to burn are required for all fires within the entire Restricted Periods. 
Permits can be obtained from through your Fire Control Officer as listed in the 20223/24 Fire Break Order linked above. 

Be advised that permits are unlikely to be issued by the Shire’s Health Services to burn garden refuse or other waste on lots within townsite, having less than 2000 square metres in size, as per the Shire’s Local Laws.

Affected neighbours must be notified at least four (4) days prior to any burning taking place. The permit holder must comply with the conditions set out in the permit and be in attendance at the fire at all times.

If you are interested in joining your local volunteer firefighters, please contact your local Bushfire Brigade via the phone numbers listed in the Firebreak Order above. Should you have any issues contacting them, please reach out to the Shire Administration for assistance.


Fire prevention measures must be completed and all properties cleared of fire hazards before 1 December each year to reduce the risk of fires during the bushfire season. The Shire of Donnybrook Balingup Rangers commence annual property inspections on the 1 December to ensure they comply with Council’s Fire Break Order.

Fire breaks shall be two (2) metres wide constructed to a mineral earth standard free of all flammable material and maintained throughout the entire compliance period.

The Shire will issue infringement notices from 1 December of each year for any non-compliant properties. Warning notices will not be issued for non-compliance unless suitable arrangements are made in writing, or there is an exemption to the Shire Fire Break Order. All applications for exemptions must be received by 30 September of each year.


All land holders within the Shire of Donnybrook Balingup are advised that the closing date for Fire Break Variation Applications is 30 September each year.

If you are a landowner who intends to apply for a variation from the typical annual firebreak order requirements, you must make an application using a Firebreak Variation Form (provided here):

Firebreak Variation Form

Applicants will be advised in writing by the Shire if their application has been approved. Should you require any further details, please contact the Shire Rangers via (08) 9780 4200.

Mitigation Works (2024)

Read the Media Release (18 January 2024)

The Shire of Donnybrook Balingup wishes to advise the community that Mitigation Works are being scheduled within the district, which will include:


Hetherington Rd, Argyle

Fire Access Track

Construct fire access track for emergency vehicles, divide reserve into smaller sections

Campbell St, Balingup

Mechanical Works

Maintain asset protection zone for dwellings and agricultural assets

Bovell St, Balingup

Mechanical Works

Maintain asset protection zone for dwellings and agricultural assets

Grimwade Rd, Balingup

Mechanical Works

Maintain asset protection zone for dwellings and agricultural assets

Langridge Rd, Brookhampton

Mechanical Works

Create asset protection zone for dwellings and agricultural assets

Noggerup Townsite

Mechanical Works

Reduce fuel loads on Shire-managed reserved to less than 8 tonnes per hectare, buffer zone creation

Wade Rd, Brookhampton

Chemical Works

Follow up treatment to target non-native species that may contribute to spread of fire

Wade Rd, Brookhampton

Mechanical Works

Create asset protection zone for dwellings

Airstrip Rd, Balingup

Fire Access Track

Upgrade access and create buffer zone for dwellings. Bridge asset protection zone creation.

Mullalyup Townsite

Mechanical Works

Create asset protection zone for dwellings and critical infrastructure (fire station). Fire break upgrades/maintenance

Castle St, Kirup

Mechanical Works

Create Hazard separation and buffer zone for assets

South Western Highway, Newlands

Mechanical Works

Maintain asset protection zone near infrastructure (Newlands Hall)

Cherrydale Way, Beelerup

Fire Access Track

Maintain/create fire access tracks for emergency vehicles, divide reserve into smaller sections in preparation for future prescribed burning

Cherrydale Way, Beelerup

Planned Burning

Reduce fuel loads in Shire-managed reserves adjacent to commercial businesses, asset protection

Wattle Court, Donnybrook

Planned Burning

Reduce fuel loads in Shire-managed reserve (old trotting track), asset protection for dwellings and critical infrastructure (SES Building)

Balingup Transfer Station

Mechanical Works

Create buffer zone for critical infrastructure – Transfer Station, Highway & Cemetery

Balingup Transfer Station

Planned Burning

Reduce fuel loads to protect critical infrastructure – Transfer Station, Highway & Cemetery

Lowden Fire Station

Mechanical Works

Create asset protection zone for critical infrastructure (Lowden Fire Station, Donnybrook Boyup Brook Road)

Russells Rd, Balingup

Planned Burning

Reduce fuel loads in shire-managed reserves to protect dwellings and critical infrastructure (Highway)


View the Shire's Risk Management Plan:

Bushfire Risk Management Plan

You can’t get back what you’ve lost. 

We want everyone to be prepared for an emergency, whether it’s a fire, flood or other crisis. Too many conversations after an emergency begin with “I wish I had…” People wish they’d taken the kids’ baby photographs, kept their passports safe, upped their insurance, or checked in with their neighbours. It’s these conversations that drive us to empower everyone in our community to prepare.

Emergency Preparation Resources:

Australian Red Cross → visit this website to download the Get Prepared app, download your RediPlan, or build your survival kit. 

DFES → visit this website to access resources from the Department of Fire and Emergency Services, with information covering fires to floods.

This section will be updated with new information regularly. Check back frequently to ensure you have every resource available to you.

Being Bushfire Ready

  • Call 000 to report a life-threatening emergency, and/or to request police, ambulance and/or fire services.
  • To stay informed during an emergency, visit:
  • View a live map on that updates regularly and contains key information such as where you can evacuate to or what roads are closed
  • Listen to the ABC Radio to hear live updates
  • Develop and practice a bushfire survival plan (create an easy to print plan for leaving early or staying and defending your property)
  • Prepare an emergency kit for yourself and your pets - use this checklist to make sure you have everything you need
    Emergency Survival Kit Checklist
  • Research on what do with animals in an emergency (local procedures), starting here:
    DFES website (Pets and Livestock)

    Key Resources

    Here are some resources that you can use to stay safe:

    DFES Publications Property Preparation Checklist Bushfire Survival Plan – Leaving for a safer place Bushfire Survival Plan – Planning to actively defend Bushfire – Homeowners Survival Manual Bushfire – Bushfire Ready Groups Winter Burning Guide DMIRS - Building for Better Protection in a Bushfire Area


    Who can I ask for help?


    DFES (Bushfire Recovery) is a main hub of information and advice on what to do after a bushfire.

    Community Services are also available to those recovering from an emergency. You can also find more resources with the Department of Communities WA.

    Department of Health also has information regarding the following that may be of use to you: 
    After a Bushfire: Safety & First Aid After a Bushfire: Food Safety After a Bushfire: Water & Wastewater

    Mental health matters. Seek help at a resource below:

    Lifeline Australia Kids Helpline Headspace Beyond Blue Rural Link (Mental Health Commission) Rural Aid (mental health support for farmers)

    Many of these organisations and mental health supporters offer 24 hour communication, available via phone call, text, or online chat.

    Are you concerned for someone or even yourself, who may be at risk of domestic or family violence? Here are places that you can find help, or people you can contact:

    Department of Communities - Services & Resources WA Police Force SW Refuge

    For concerns about the native wildlife affected in the area of emergency, you can visit the DPIRD website or call (08) 9368 3333. If you're unsure, you can also give our Rangers a call on (08) 9780 4200.

    If you have any further concerns and require support, you can contact:

    RSPCA: Online or via 1300 278 358 for pets and livestock.

    EASE WA: via 0436 389 445 for assistance with animal feed and care. This organisation also offers emergency evacuation services for all livestock. 

    RURAL AID: Online or via 1300 327 624. This organisation helps primary producers with finances, water, fodder, and other volunteer assistance.

    You can contact the Department of Communities for assistance via 1800 032 965, or visit their website here (wa.gov.au/department-of-communities).

    Alternatively, you can also apply for a Crisis Payment via servicesaustralia.gov.au/crisis-payment. This could provide you with a one-off non-taxable payment if you’ve experienced an extreme circumstance and are in severe financial hardship.

    DPIRD (Agriculture and Food) is a Western Australian Government resource for those with a farm and who are recovering after being affected by bushfires. 

    For those who are concerned about local rivers and creeks, you can visit lowerblackwood.com.au for information and resources, including on fencing revegetation.

    BlazeAid is a volunteer-based organisation that works with families and individuals in rural Australia after natural disasters such as fires and floods. Working alongside the rural families, these volunteers provide labour and tools to assist with rebuilding fences and other structures that have been damaged or destroyed. To get in touch with BlazeAid, please visit their website, or contact the Shire direct on (08) 9780 4200.


    It’s likely that your gas, electricity and water have been shut off or disconnected during an emergency. You will need to wait for the suppliers to send a qualified tradesperson to inspect and repair any damage, plus arrange for reconnection.

    If you are insured, your insurance company can organise this for you. If you are not, you will need to sort this out yourself.

    You may be able to make a claim and receive compensation if you lost power for over 12 hours during an unplanned outage. Western Power has plenty of information and advice available on how to prepare for an outage. Make a Claim - Western Power

    Water Corporation - Outages & Works map shows what is happening in your area, live. You can also call the Water Corporation 24/7 line for urgent assistance for faults during emergencies via 13 13 75.

    Healthy WA has resources and information on what you can do if your drinking water is unsuitable for consumption, including advice for rainwater tanks.

    Alternatively, here are some more resources available from Water Corporation:

    Bushfire Help and Advice Water Issues Directory & Guides


    Are you looking to become a volunteer firefighter, or know someone who is? Look no further - these are the resources you'll need to do that.

    All of these forms are compliant to the Volunteer Bushfire Brigade Operational Procedures. If you require assistance or support with any of the following, please contact us via (08) 9780 4200, or fill out our online Contact Us form.